Tuesday, November 2, 2010

11/2/10 The other options

What if being at odds and ends with the world were a conscious choice? What if choosing peace means not fighting no matter what? What if being angry about a situation is meant to teach us the restlessness and discontent that we want to change, not to emulate the behavior of people or groups we think are unbalanced.
In the wee hours of Monday morning, a sort of voice came to me. Okay I'm not schizophrenic. But this voice or thought, familiar, kind but firm, posed the question, do I want to keep fighting. Because if I wanted to keep fighting, they would give me an adversarial relationship with someone whom I see on a regular basis. In my half-asleep state before my workweek, I thought about it, considered it, considered what would be best for me (the previous two weeks, I had made the choice to fight--my ego was invested in the identity of being a fighter--opposing oppression in all forms). So in the wee hours of Monday morning, in this inner conversation with my spirit guide, I said, no, I don't really care to fight, to project my sources of disharmony outside myself onto another person or group.
For me, it feels like when I take an adversarial stance, even one that's for overcoming injustice, I get locked into a role of hating my opponent and finding everything they do worthy of derision and despisal. I can find the most innocuous actions to be hostile. Instead, if I am open to any number of meanings, I can respond with joy and spontaneity. I can come up with creative solutions, and see others' behavior as interesting, appropriate for them and their lifestyle & beliefs.
On this election night, I wish to point out that everyone wishes for abundance and safety and nurturing community and choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment