Monday, November 8, 2010

11/8/10 Moving freight

Today I got to move cartons of printer paper--8 of them on a 4-wheel cart. The cart has a painted, cast-iron chassis, with push handle and requisite incomprehensible steering. No frills. And the bed of it is ancient 2 x 6's with about 5 generations of faded magic marker department notes, chips, dents, faded stickers, dirt, smells. And heavy. One carton of paper is almost too much for me. Pushing 8 on a cart requires my inner Amazon.

And I'm leaning into it and throwing my weight around, so fun to see what you can do. Once, when I was working at a fish cannery my first summer in Alaska, I added up all the cartons and pallets full of dungie crab I had loaded myself that night (with Tone moving it around with the forklift--lucky guy). Sixteen tons. Sixteen tons. You load sixteen tons and what do you get? Well, it's hilarious and fun anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment