Friday, December 31, 2010

12/19/10 Figs (writing on 12/31)
My co-worker Ernesto offered me some the other day. The spanish word for figs is Higos, so close to the word for sons, Hijos, that you're going to feel like you're related to these little babies. Family already, they are so small and they have such tiny seeds. They are chewy and crunchy at the same time. And sweet and mild at the same time so that you don't feel like you're indulging. And chewy. My mom served them recently simply soaked/marinated in Kahlua. Dark brown and weird looking--dried of course, how could they possibly be delicious??? Then I made this figgy cake--I was looking for a Christmas figgy pudding, like in the song, but this is what I found: . Of course I had to substitute the nuts and the liqueur, because it was Christmas day and the stores were closed. But it came out fantastic, and one can't say enough about fennel seed in baking. Or figs, those unassuming little fruits, usually dried, with so many tender and surprising qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment